Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Process Writing...

Process Writing
When going about writing a review for this class, I generally started with viewing, listening, or attending the movie, concert, or event that I intended to write about. This seemed to work well for me and I think it would be hard to go about it any other way because it would be difficult to write about something you haven’t experienced. After I made it through this first step in my writing process, I generally waited a couple of days to actually sit down and write anything, during these days I would tell myself that I’d think about what I wanted to write, but this rarely happened.
On Monday mornings I would generally wake up and realize that I had a review due at 4:00 pm and go through a bit of a panic. After calming myself down, showering, and usually eating, I would sit down and write my review. In general, this process served me well, however, it was much more stressful than it probably should have been and the stress caused by the deadlines of this class will likely result in my death a couple of years sooner than if I hadn’t taken the class.
In writing my final project, I originally wanted to write about music and how each generation has a defining musical movement. This would have been a very interesting topic but I could probably write about 10000 words about it. After meeting with you, Marin, I decided on a celebrity profile of Seth Rogen, overweight pothead of the 21st century. For this paper I began by watching four of his movies again, which actually was probably more of a distraction than a help in writing the paper, but nonetheless, very enjoyable. I didn’t really write a draft other than what the class critiqued and I was really unhappy with what I had written. The class critique really helped me a lot in figuring out what I wanted to focus on because my first draft was all over the place and lacked any real argument at all.
Upon your suggestion, I finally decided on doing a comparison piece between John Belushi and Seth Rogen, and discussing why they found/are finding the popularity in their respective societies. I actually completely re-wrote the piece and while I used many ideas that I first introduced in my first draft, pretty much everything is new.

No comments:

Post a Comment